Monday, November 12, 2007

Artists working with ASCII

Seems like there are a LOT of graphic designers and advertising gurus working with ASCII imagery, but not all that many artists. Here's what I've found so far:

Contemporary ASCII Art
This site is neat, includes folks who built an ASCII photobooth.

VVork.com
Not sure if I call this Art, but someone encoded the entire FIFA world cup of 2006 into ASCII, frame-by-frame.

ASCII Curtains
Dutch designer Nienke Sybrandy designed some neat-o curtains that have a weight-based ASCII image of a tree on them!

Jo-Anne Green
This lovely artist uses computational imagery all the time - including a series of ASCII portraits of the two president Bush's.
(She also did portraits using the knit-o-matic)

Vuk Cosic
Cosic has dealt with ASCII many times in his artwork, notably an instant ASCII camera.

Talking with the internet
Not quite ASCII, but interesting and text-based nonetheless. Talking with the internet, not another person ON the internet.

carpet/?s
Neat! Carpets you can order that are custom ASCII text based on when you ordered it!

Eat my binary.
Chocolate binary. Yup, chocolate.


I also intend to develop some elecrtonic garments for my thesis, so I'm keeping an eye on these constatnly updating news sources:
Our Cyborg Future
Fashionable Technology
Fashion for the 21st Century
XS Labs

that's all I have for now :P

No comments: